Thursday, November 13, 2008

PROUD TO BE A MORMON!!!!

It seems that every time I sit down on my couch to take a few minutes to just relax and watch some t.v. I hear only sadness and anger yelling at me from the screen. My sadness has deepened lately as the headlines are filled with stories regarding proposition 8 in California. I just want to say how much it has angered me that the gay and lesbian groups across the nation have put the blame on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for the passing of Proposition 8. As a member of this great church I will say, that had I lived in California, I would have absolutely voted yes on this. IN MY OPINION, marriage is meant to be between a man and a woman. As an American, I am entitled to that opinion. Those who feel otherwise are also entitled to their thoughts and views. However, when did it become okay to go to our sacred temples and spray paint things on our gates and walls. How is that okay? At no time did the LDS church provide any money to anyone or any organization in regards to this proposition. In our church meetings we are not told how to vote or whom to vote for. How dare these people vandalize our buildings. I love this church with all my heart. I have friends who are gay and/or lesbian. I do not judge them just as they do not judge me. There are countless groups out there (including hundreds of other religions) who are also against the legalization of gay marriages. Why is it that these groups are not being targeted?

Lets clear things up here. MORMONS ARE NOT POLYGAMYSTS. My husband only has one wife. Every single mormon on this planet only has one wife. If you are so caught up in your narrow minded ways that you cannot take 10 minutes to go to any member of this great church to get the facts before you plaster ridiculous sayings on your stupid signs then you are even more shallow than I thought. Our church does not go to your homes or any other place where you worship and vandalize your buildings. Stop already. If you think that such horrific acts are going to in any way bring anyone to see your side of the story, you are sadly mistaken.

I am very proud to be a member of this great church. I will tell anyone and everyone that I am a Mormon. I stand for what I do because I believe in it. If that offends you...then move to a country where you are not allowed to think or believe in anyway other than what you are told to think and/or believe. God bless America and God bless the sacred covenenant of marriage between a MAN AND A WOMAN!!!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautifully said. And I totally agree. Thanks for sharing!

The Witt Family said...

Amen Sister!!!!

JanB said...

Right on, Heather!
Of course, you're preaching to the choir.
None of those protesters and vandals will be reading your blog.

Nichole Christensen said...

I completely agree! Chris has been keeping up on a lot of it, but I get so disturbed when I see the headlines and/or photos. People are ignorant and unwilling to see anything but what they tell themselves they are seeing. Did you see this letter on the church news website?
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/catholic-bishop-decries-religious-bigotry-against-mormons

I wish people would take time to read that instead of scream and take out all of their frustrations on our temples!

Beckie said...

Interesting thing happened here today (after the days of near riots outside the SLC temple) they had to close temple square because there was a mysterious package delived to the temple and it contained a mysterious white powder.

They have not said if it is thought to be related, but it sure seems to be (to me at least)...interesting timing at best.

Scary stuff. I am anxious to watch the ten o'clock news for an update.

Louise and Tim said...

Another website of interest on the subject: http://ldsmag.com/ideas/081110hate.html

This is a very destructive and dangerous subject. So many people can be hurt and even marriages broken over the strong emotions it carries with it especially when we love those who have chosen to live a life so different from our own. I have a constant prayer in my heart for them and their children. Thank you for your testimony.

Anonymous said...

You are 100% right. There is no excuse for vandalizing any house of worship. That is horrible.

God teaches us to love one another, and that means loving all of different religions and of different sexual orientations.

I may decide to vote differently than you, but that is the beauty of our nation. We can express our opinions peacefully at the poles, but we should not do so violently in public. We should all agree to disagree respectfully.

Bekah said...

I really am sad that these things can't be discussed civilly. it's so frustrating and it's a bit scary to see what is happening recently.

Do you still have my vaccine book? I was looking for it yesterday and can't find it anywhere. Just wondered if you happened to still have it.