Sunday, December 16, 2012

Buddy Moments

A lot of people have moments in their life that they refer to as "God moments." I do too. But some I would have to say are definately "Buddy moments".  Moments that are little gifts to the kids and I, straight from Buddy. I would love to share some of these with you. Some are too personal or spiritual so I wont share those but others are just classic Buddy. They show me and the kids, and now you, just how much Buddy is near, how concerned he is for us and how he truly reaches out to us from the other side.



One time when we lived in Omaha, we were having to go to Florida for a special meeting for his company.  I was a few months pregnant with Natalie and very emotional. I was overwhelmed with sadness at leaving my other 3 behind and overly scared to fly. I was shaking and scared as we got on that plane. He held my hand tightly the entire beginning of the flight. He kept assuring me that we were going to be just fine. As soon as the flight attendant came over the intercom and said we could use our electronics, he let go of my hand and pulled out his laptop. Then he pulled out a package of movies that he had nicely placed in a black case. I was wondering what the heck he was doing. All of the sudden, he hands me one earphone while placing the other one in his ear and on comes "The Office."  The office is one of our all time favorite shows that we always watched together. He had planned ahead and brought that on the airplane just to help calm me down and make me laugh. It is one of my favorite moments and stories to share as it really shows how much he loved me.

Fast Forward to my flight from Dallas/Vegas on this past Monday. Even though I was not fearful of this flight, and I was sad to be leaving my kids but also excited for some time away, I was dreading parts of the week that I was going to have to face.  Luckily I was blessed to have one of my best friends Laurie, sitting in the seat next to me. We were talking about how hard this week would be.  I shared with her "The Office" story and once again, smiled and laughed through tears at the thought of it all. A few short moments after I finished telling her the story, the TV's in the airplane came down and wouldn't you know it? "The Office" came over the tv's to watch. "BUDDY MOMENT!!"

Anyone who knows us, knows that Chili's is our absolute favorite place to eat. We love it! Garrison especially loves it. Many times, we have used it as a reward for him..if he goes to church on Sunday's, we go to Chili's. It works out great. Well, today was one of those days. All during church he kept asking if it was time to go to Chili's. So as soon as church was over, we headed over there. We sat down, ordered, ate chips and salsa and waited on our food. Then, the lights went out. The electricity had gone out. My first thought was "oh no! What are we going to do? Garrison will be devastated if he doesn't get his cheese pizza and fries." I immediately prayed in my heart to please let our food still be able to cook.

 

Garrison is not a spoiled brat. Children with Autism have a hard time when you change their routine. It is one of the things that can trigger a HUGE meltdown in Garrison. Once we have a plan, if we do not follow through with that plan, it can get very tricky. He struggles so much when that happens.

Well, next thing I know, the managers are making their rounds to all of the tables and telling all of the customers that it will be as late as 3:00 (2.5 hours from that moment) before the electricity came back on so unless they wanted to sit and wait for that moment, there would be no food. My heart was pounding..and then here comes our food! It was like angels were singing. I was so happy. They said that our food had literally just come out as the lights went out. "BUDDY MOMENT!"

I am so grateful for these moments. I am grateful that Buddy assures us that he is near and that he knows what we need, when we need it.


1 comment:

Janice said...

It is awesome that you recognize these moments and acknowledge them for what they are--true Buddy moments. I love that you two are so connected even when mortal life separates you. That says a lot about how connected you two were when you were here together. I pray you have an infinite amount "Buddy Moments" and that your kids do too.

Love you. . .love you. . .SO MUCH!!