Saturday, May 30, 2009

10 years ago today....


10 years ago today, I lost my dad. Man, do I miss him still so very much. It is amazing how there are some days where I still get the urge to pick up the phone and call him. I miss hearing his voice. I miss so much about him. My dad was one amazing man. He was incredibly generous. He was a wonderful dad who was always there for me. He was always complimenting me on everything from my outfit, to the decisions I had made. I was there when my dad died. I saw it all. As hard as those images are to have in my head, I am grateful I got to be with him in those final moments. It was just me and my mom, and that is a moment in time I will cherish always. I feel incredibly blessed to have been in his daughter and for all of the love he gave me while on this earth. That's all I can write for now....

4 comments:

Kim said...

He was amazing! He was so fun! I will always have the best memories of him. He was so funny! I can't believe it's been 10 years.

Beckie said...

Heather, I just wanted to tell you I was thinking about you. Losing a parent is difficult and while you are able to continue on with your life it is hard to not notice the gaping hole left where that person once was.

I wish I had known him, but somehow feel as if I do because of all the WONDERFUL things you have said about him. That my friend is some legacy. We should all be so fortunate to have such devotion and admiration from our friends and loved ones.

I am sure there will be a magnificent reunion between you two some day, until then, just keep doing what you are doing, sharing stories and thoughts of him and helping him live on through your memories.

And by the way, I am willing to bet he is mighty proud of you, too. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Take care.

The Witt Family said...

I always think of your dad when my anniversary comes around. To this day it is bittersweet for me. On one hand I am so greatful for the honor of knowing your dad, and the influence that he had on our family growing up. I still remember my 1st phone call home on my honeymoon to see how things were and my mom telling me about your dad...I'm not sure I have ever cried like that since that day. I remember calling your mom and telling her that we were going to come home early for his funeral and she was so adamant about us staying at Disneyworld and enjoying ourselves because that was what Doug would be doing if he could. I am so greatful for having my reception so that many more people got the chance to see him before he passed. He was such a neat guy. You have have every right to feel sad and to miss him, all those who knew him do. Find comfort knowing that he is looking down and must be so proud of the women, wife , mother and friend you have become. I heart you Heather!

Trisha said...

10 years...really? Seems like yesterday in a way. I know how much you love him...and still do. He would be SO proud of you and where you are at in life right now. I love you!