Thursday, January 20, 2011

So proud of my Kimbo


So Kimbo ended the school year with a broken arm..from March until the middle of June, she was in a cast on her right arm (and she is right handed). That held her back in more ways that I can tell you academically. I thought everything was fine until this school year started..when she left the 1st grade, I was told she was reading on a level 18. When she started 2nd grade, she was at a reading level of 11. I was so confused. We read like crazy over the summer. We went to the library every week. It didn't make sense. What I figure happened was this..Her first grade teacher was always raving about how brilliant she was and how way far advanced she was. So, along comes the broken arm and her teacher just let her do whatever. She had told me that she got to play the computer a lot while the kids were testing and stuff (because she couldn't write) but I never thought there was a problem because she was pulling straight A's and again, I was hearing that she was so far advanced, I never really thought to be concerned.

Well, she starts her second grade year dramatically behind. She was so sad and I was so mad. But, thankfully she has an AWESOME teacher (two of them actually) who have worked with her and pushed her and praised her so now she is on a reading level of 20. She has to be at a 30 by the end of the year. I just know she can do it.

I got her report card today..straight A's. This is not the first time for her..in fact she has only ever gotten one B and that was the first quarter of this year and it was in reading. She went from a 86 in the first 6 weeks to a 90 the second 6 weeks to a 96 today!!! I wanted to cry! I am so proud I could just burst!! Kimbo has worked and worked and worked on her reading. Now her handwriting leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot read one darn thing that girl writes but we will get there! She is my little rockstar!!!!

2 comments:

Charlestons on the go said...

That's such great progress. I always struggled with my reading, but because I did, I knew I had to work harder at it. She'll probably do fine because, first of all, she wants to improve so that's half the battle. Good luck. Read Read Read.

Kim said...

Ahhh, Yeah!!! Good for her! That's got to be hard on a naturally good student to fall behind. I'm glad she is doing better. I have no doubt she will be great!