Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Holy Cow!!!!!




Okay so I haven't posted anything whatsoever about the tornado that hit here in Omaha on Sunday and after reading what I just read, and looking at the map, I now find it necessary.(Quick side note. We actually live in a suburb originally called Millard however it is "technically" Omaha as it was annexed into Omaha a few years back. Locals still call it Millard though) The National Weather Service just came out tonight and said that 2 tornado's touched down and joined together. One of the original tornado's came right through our neighborhood!!!! Sunday at church, everyone was talking about how different this storm was. The sirens did not go off until AFTER the twister hit. Nobody saw this storm coming. They say it literally just popped up. News rooms have been flooded with complaints that when Omaha residence turned on their televisions, there was no information. That was because nobody saw this coming. One news channel said on Monday that everything happened in just 4 short minutes. In that amount of time, we went from simply Heavy rain, to a severe thunderstorm warning, straight to a tornado warning in 4 minutes. Unbelievable.

Now, I knew there was damage as close as one street over (someone lost parts of their roof) and on my same street, someone lost their entire fence. And I will say, that when I woke up, I looked out my windows and I cannot explain how different it was. The rain was hitting our bedroom window so differently. The wind was blowing so hard, I couldn't tell what direction it was going and I couldn't see my back yard. I just saw rain and wind, and hail hitting my window. I immediately checked my weather radio to see if it was working because I couldn't imagine that no warnings or at least watches were being issued. ( a watch means that conditions are right but it may or may not happen and a warning means to take cover IMMEDIATELY). It went off and said a severe thunderstorm warning and so I went to check on the kids and looked out their windows. Same thing. I couldn't see anything because of the intense wind and rain. By the time I got back to my room, my radio was going off again saying a tornado warning. I hurry and woke Buddy up and we quickly got all 4 sleepy yet frightened children down to the basement.

Of course we are all right but when I say my prayers tonight, I will thank my Heavenly Father even more fervently for keeping us safe. Talk about a close call. The darn thing was right here!!!!

*Images used from http://www.ketv.com

1 comment:

Ashfrin said...

That's a touching story. I'm glad you and your family were okay.