Thursday, January 14, 2010

Our Story in a Nutshell...

Rachel's teacher has a friend who wrote a children's book. She is looking for a children's charity to donate the proceeds to. Heather (Rachel's teacher) called me and suggest I send her our family's story about Garrison. So I did. Here is what I wrote....


Hello Susan! My name is Heather Hopkins and Heather Rogers is my daughters teacher. Heather told me about your book and that you were looking for a charity to perhaps donate some of the proceeds to. She suggested I contact you and share our story.

We have a beautiful 10 year old son Garrison who is Autistic. Garrison was diagnosed with autism on December 2 of 2003. In 2003, there was not nearly as much known about Autism as there is now. It was not nearly as common. That day changed our lives forever. Not just the lives of my husband and I but also the rest of children as well. Garrison is not considered high functioning nor is he on the most severe end. He has made some great progress with a lot of hard work and great people who have blessed our lives. I personally think it would be a wonderful thing to find a cure for Autism however, my #1 concern is raising awareness.

I cannot tell you how many battles I have had to fight, how many judging looks and comments I have had to endure as people have observed my son. The staring is ridiculous. You would think that he had a third eye the way people stare at him as he jumps up and down and squeals repeatedly. The laughing sometimes is more than I can bare. I desperately want people to learn more about this disease that now affects 1 in 110 children. That is an astounding number.

Autism Speaks is probably the most well known and respected program out there. I would love for you to do your own personal research and see just how devastating the lack of knowledge can be to a family who lives with Autism.

I adore my son. I love him just the way he is. I often tell people that if God himself came down and offered to take the Autism away, I wouldn't let Him because there is nothing wrong with my son. Garrison is perfect just the way that he is. I am grateful for his 3 younger sisters, 2 of which are old enough to understand their brothers differences. They are incredibly protective of him and help him with everything from brushing his teeth, to making sure he makes it to his classroom at school, to calming him down in the middle of a crowded restaurant.

Susan, I am a very blessed mom to have been entrusted with such an angelic little boy. I want anyone and everyone to know how amazing these children are. I hope that Autism is something you will consider learning more about. Thanks for listening.

Heather Hopkins

1 comment:

Kim said...

That is so well worded and so touching! You did a great job. You are so amazing!!!!