Sunday, March 17, 2013

Self Discovery

Sorry it has been a few weeks but life has been a little rougher than usual.  Since I don't typically hold much back in these posts I will tell you all that during my complete "hitting rock bottom" day, I lost it. As my friend Angela put it "I saw you giving up for the first time." I really did. That day, February 20,  I truly felt I just couldn't go on.  Now, I have most certainly had those feelings at other times in my life but this time was much different.  I felt the life being sucked out of me. I thought, "If I just lay here and cry, I will surely die of a broken heart." I took a shower, and my daughter Rachel sent my dear friend Angela a text message that she was worried about me as she could hear the sobs coming from me through the walls.  Angela came almost immediately. I was so out of it. It was almost worse than the actual day that Buddy was killed. Angela called in a favor and got me into a new counselor the very next morning. She stayed there with me, helped me dress, helped put makeup on me and helped me do my hair. We then went to a planned birthday party with all of our families and kids. I don't remember much of that night.  I do know that Angela's husband asked Angela if I was ok because I looked awful. I went to the counselor the next morning, even though I told Angela I wasn't going. She came to my house and forced me to go. She would have literally drug me if she needed to. 

This new counselor has been wonderful. He has made me realize many things but has also got me thinking so much. He has given me counsel and advice that has helped me in ways I cannot explain. So, on this path of  discovering the new Heather that I am just now learning about, I am growing and learning in ways I cannot explain.  I hope to never, ever, ever revisit a day like the one I did when I hit my rock bottom...but, If I do, how blessed I am to know that I have friends and family, near and far, that will be here to pick me up. Thank you Angela for saving me that day. I realize I would not have physically died that day but I am not sure just how I would have mentally survived without YOU! I love you so very much.

I am not entirely sure why I am sharing this with y'all. My only thought is that maybe, just maybe, one of you needed to hear that not only do you have dark days and moments, but I do too. I want people to believe in me and know that I am strong..not because I put a smile on my face or am constantly trying to be positive, but because I can and will hit rock bottom, maybe even more than once, but that I will also overcome those moments. I want people to realize that even in my darkest hours, I believe there is hope and there is light, no matter how faint it may be. 


This coming Sunday, on March 24, I will run my first half marathon.  Buddy ran this same one 2 years ago.  His first and only.  It is the shirt he was wearing when he was killed.  I committed to this back in December.  The emotional and physical toll the training has taken on my body and mind is just overwhelming.  I have questioned my decision countless times.  I have only been running since September. I have never run before that. .  A half marathon, 13.1 miles, is a very ambitious goal for a beginner but this is just not any half. It is Buddy's half marathon.  So, despite my own questions in regards to my ability to finish, I am doing it.  I can tell you this..I am terrified. I am so scared that I feel physically ill. I am scared I wont finish. I am scared of letting myself and others down.  I try to just keep my children and friends faces in my mind..I envision seeing their faces as I run towards the finish line. I long for many of my loved ones to be there waiting for me, and I am so sad that they can't, but I am grateful for those who can.

Crossing that finish line will be the most amazing feeling.  I cannot wait to experience it. So, I am asking you, my readers, to please lift my name up in prayers this week. I know the power of prayer is great and powerful. I know many of you don't know me so it may seem strange, but please, ask God to just allow me to finish this race. Not just my half marathon, but my own personal race of healing.  Surviving the death of my husband as a whole. 

Here is what I know....

When you are at your "breaking point" or "rock bottom", there are still people who love you and need you.  There is still hope in a beautiful future.  Love is a powerful emotion.  I've learned it comes in many many forms.  I know I am loved and I know I am good at loving others.  I know that this weekend will prove to be one of my biggest trials, but I also know I can and will do it.  I know I am strong, and slightly (ok...maybe a little more than slightly) stubborn.  I know that I want to show my children, just as their daddy did, if you set your mind to accomplish something, you will! I know without a doubt that I am blessed. I have friends and family in my life who love and support me in ways I cannot even tell you. Sometimes it is a 3 hour phone call late at night. Sometimes it is flying all the way from Utah to just be here. Sometimes it is driving from Arizona to again, just be here.  Sometimes it is seeing me at my weakest and most vulnerable moments. Sometimes it is sitting on my bed with me and watching me just cry uncontrollably.  Sometimes it is helping my get dressed because I am physically too weak to do it myself.  Sometimes it is a note in the mail to just say "You and your children have not been forgotten." Sometimes it is a text message just to say "I love you!".  Sometimes it is a song someone sends me because they know what music really means to me.  Sometimes it is just standing at the finish line of a race with smiles and some tears on your face.  Those are the moments I will never forget. The people who love me the most and I, in return love them the most. What I know is that I am blessed.  So, as I run this weekend, I will run for Buddy, I will run for my kids, I will run for anyone and everyone who has ever supported me, especially these past 9 months, but mostly, I will run for me...I got this!

9 comments:

The Witt Family said...

Damn straight you have this! You my friend keep me in constant awe of you! We love you and pray for you daily. From the time you were a little girl I knew there was something very special about you, this I am sure. Keep us posted and we will be cheering from AZ for you! Love you girlie,

BrownPackof5 said...

You amaze me! You wil finish your race because no one could fail if they had the number of people you have holding you up. Keep your head up and keep looking forward. I love you!

Kim Deming said...

You are so special Heather! You have been since the day I met you. I love your candid expression in your writing.....Sending you hugs from Omaha..... Miss you ..... Love~Kim

Jessica said...

13.1 miles is a long run, but I think if your focus is doing this for your children, you could run however long it takes. I just started running last summer when the olympics were on and I saw those women doing the marathon--ladies from Ghana and Kenya who do this for a living--and it just touched my heart. That is a reason to run. To take care of your family, to prove that you can. Thanks for sharing this. I think it is a heavy burden being "so strong" all the time. It is important to let everyone know that the dark days still come. And then with the love and support of family and friends, we get up above them again. You are doing great. And you'll rock that half next week! :)

Mom said...

You have had one of the hardest blows we are ever given in this life. We have felt your pain and we have our own grief on many different levels, but we understand the devastation that engulfs and threatens to smother the life out of us. It really does not matter if you finish this half marathon or not. The fact that you are willing to start it and walk it if necessary, is all that matters. We must keep the most important goal before us and that is to return to our Father because we chose to follow the Savior's example. Patience, determination, and the desire to follow the Savior is what is required of us. Are you willing to bear all that is put on your plate? I know you are willing to do your best. Then the Lord will do the rest. We may not finish every race when we want to. It may take us many tries before we accomplish it. We just need to keep getting up and trying over and over again. That is what you are really teaching your children. We have set backs, but we get up and give our all over and over again. Even if we appear to fail in the eyes of the world, we only fail in the eyes of our Father if we don't try at all. Remember that in our darkest moments it is to Him we must cry for help. Then he will send what we need in the form of the hands of His servants. Rachel saw you needed help and she called Angela. Angela came that time. He knows who has the help we desperately need. We must all heed the call when we hear it and come when we are called. We are His hands. He works his miracles through us and we learn from those experiences. Someday soon you will realize all you have accomplished in the past year. There are lessons we cannot learn any other way. Buddy is proud of you for more than just your running a half marathon. He entrusted you with the care and keeping of his children. He believed in you when he was here and he still believes in you where he is now. He never doubted your ability. He was always bragging about how well you care for these children. Your heart is pure and unselfish. I recall every blessing he gave to your babies when they were infants and from his mouth I heard each child was told to respect their mother and they do. He was inspired to give them that blessing because you need and deserve their respect now that he is gone. You bore them and above all else he wanted you to have the experiences of motherhood that he knew you would have missed had you been taken instead of him. It is devastating to have him gone. But if he had lived, Heather, he would not have been the Buddy you loved and that we loved. It would have taken every resource this family could scrape together to keep his body alive. It would have been no life for him or for you or your children. With the extent of his injuries, it was best for all of you that he was taken. He would never have recovered and this way he has his life and you have a life and a chance to be happy again. It isn't the life we wanted, but we have all been blessed because he was with us. He can run and not be weary and the pain he endured every day has been taken from him and he can soar and grow and obtain new heights. You do not need to run for anyone else. Do this for you. Any amount you are able to do is more than the rest of us can do. Just keep setting goals, but please do not think that you are letting anyone down if you don't make this goal this time. It won't really matter. Just know that we will all love you because you are the only Heather Hopkins there is--unique. You do not have to be anyone but yourself. The Lord did not make 6000 Heathers. He only made you--only one and you are loved for who you are today. So love yourself and know that you are worthy of great blessings yet to come and a life that is satisfying and happy. Be of good cheer! Enjoy the journey and do not fear. We have nothing to fear. Have a good week and we will be rooting for our girl.

Pearls said...

So glad your daughter had the wisdom to text a friend and you are blessedso with such great friends! Praying for you and your first half marathon! Proud of you and maybe one day I will try a half marathon (or at least a 5k) with you being my inspiration!

Angela said...

I think it is so awesome that you are doing the race! I will be praying for you. I just started running in January and will be doing a half on April 13th.. really, you are inspiring me to get it done! I will be praying for you. I am so glad that you have your friend Angela, and your new counselor, and your fabulous children and so many great friends and family. YOU GOT THIS!!!

Natasha said...

Love this post! I'm grateful you have Angela and your new counselor too. Thanks for sharing some of your vulnerable moments.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring stuff Heather...love it!!