Monday, January 7, 2008

Do you think in colors???

Okay, so my husband and one of his sisters both think in colors and I think it is so weird. When they think of names, letters, numbers, months, years or days of the week, they associate them with colors. For example, my husband sees the color orange when you say the letter P. (just an example I really have no idea what color he sees) I just see the letter P. Buddy explained to me that usually whatever the first letter of the name is will be what color the name is. So if P is orange, then Paul and Patty are both Orange as well. Am I making ANY sense? He will listen to someone talk about the 1990's and think of the color blue. Many times he cannot even name the color but can say that it is a "reddish yellow" or a "blueish green". Well, last night we found out that Rachel does the EXACT SAME THING!!! I was laughing so hard because I find it so different. She too has a hard time naming some of the colors she sees but usually sticks with the basic colors. Buddy looked it up online and found a name for it and it is said to be hereditary. I was just curious to know if anyone else does it as well. According to Buddy, I am the weird one for not doing it. Thoughts anyone???

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so interesting! I saw a documentary about that one time. I want to ask him what color I am!

Heather said...

Lora, Buddy says your name is more of a yellow color to him and Rachel says it is orange. Either way, I see both of those colors happy and vibrant and amazing just like you!!!!

Mama Mia said...

That is so cool! Now I want to know what color I am!

Heather said...

Rachel says pink Mia. I will have to let you know what Buddy says.

Barbies Blog said...

Ok, so what am I? (just don't say void of any color) :)

Heather said...

Barb, Buddy said your name is a blueish, reddish color. Rachel said it is brown.

Heather said...

Mia, buddy said that you and barb have the exact same color. He says it is a blueish red color.

cschupp said...

To those who don't know me, this is Cassie, Buddy's sister who does the wierd color thing also. Just like Buddy, some of the colors are hard to name exactly, but they are consistent in my head, and always have been. Along with each letter and number having a color, days of the week and months of the year have colors. When we first started analyzing all of this, I was thinking the days of the week would match the first letter of their name, but they don't (a few do, but most don't). For example, the letter W is a blue-gray color, but Wednesday has always been a yellowish brown color, like the color of a spicy brown mustard.

Also, I find it interesting that Buddy and I have very different colors, and so it isn't something that we learned from someone, but must be something we have aquired independent of anyone else. I can remember when I was very little, I remembered my parents years of birth were both brown, so in the 1940's, but my siblings and I were all in the 70's because these were blueish gray years. I had a cousin born in the 60's and I remember thinking that it must have been strange to be born in the orange years! (Once my brain remebers the decade someone was born in, based on color, then the color of their specific year appears in my head to tell me if it was 1971 or 1974 or 1975, etc. which is based off of the last digit.)

Mama Mia said...

This is the coolest thing ever! So interesting! Thanks for telling me my colors those are favorites of mine and I absolutely love them mixed together...purple!

Darling pictures above! I can't get over their smiles!

Melissa said...

Okay big sis to Buddy and Cassie and I think it is weird. None of my kids seem to do it either. Cassie keeps explaining it to me and I smile and nod. I think Buddy said that it is a 1 in 23 type a deal. But you know our family, Autism is 1 in 66 so we are 2 in 12! Gotta blow the stats everytime!

Anonymous said...

Not 1 in 66. 1 in 166

Heather said...

Actually, it is 1 in 150. But whose counting??? ME!!! :)