Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!


Today would have been my dads 69th birthday. This day is always rough especially since it is so close to Christmas. Christmas always makes me miss my dad as it was such an important holiday to him. My dad LOVED Christmas. It meant that he got to buy gifts for not only his family but many times other families as well. He loved to make others happy. He was such a generous man. He also loved to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. My dad had such a love for the Savior. He had an incredible testimony of the gospel. He loved The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints. He was proud to be a member of this great church.

My dad was such an amazing man. Of course he had his faults and knew very well how to embarrass me but what an incredible dad he was. He loved his family unconditionally. He treated my mom like a queen and expected her children to do the same. He always complemented me. It is funny how siblings can be to each other and he would hear some comments made and then later in the day would pull me aside and let me know how special I was. I cannot tell you how many of those instances I still remember and carry with me close to my heart.

When my father passed away, it was just me and my mom there with him waiting together for the paramedics. The last thing my dad ever said to me was "Don't cry Heather, everything is going to be okay." I knew at that moment that he was going to die that morning. Moments later he did. Once we found out that my dad had a terminal illness (8 days prior to his death) he was not afraid of dying. He knew the gospel was true and he knew that he had tried his hardest to live righteously. His concerns laid with his wife and family. He was worried about us being okay without him. That is the kind of man my father was. He never worried about himself. Always putting others in front of him. At times when you thought he would be so angry at you for something, those were the times that he was the most compassionate. At least with me. I cannot speak for my other siblings.

I miss my dad so very much. There is not a minute of a day that goes by that I do not think of him. I miss him so much. I just want him to be proud of me and know that I love him so very much. Thanks for being my dad. Thanks for loving me and giving me such a wonderful childhood. Thanks for loving our mom and showing us how to not only respect others but to be respected. I love you daddy poo!!!

8 comments:

The Witt Family said...

I had never seen that pic of your dad before. I am so glad that I was able to grow up knowing your dad. He was so awesome and boy did he LOVE Christmas. I am so glad that I got to see him before he passed away. Smile Heather because I know he's smiling at you!

Melissa said...

He sent the snow special to remind you he was watching you and the kids. He wanted to see something fun! Big Hugs!

Nichole Christensen said...

Aww Heather this brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing man you had for a father, and what an amazing woman he has for a daughter! I know that he is just so proud of you and the incredible wife and mother you are.

JanB said...

Yes, he was a neat guy.
I'm glad I got to know him.
I'm sure he's proud of the woman, the wife and mother you've become.

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute. I'm sorry I never knew him. I've never seen that picture. Kimbo looks just like him, and I'm sure some of his spirit lives in her.

Kim said...

This was a great tribute. A tough one. I am definitly teary! He was so fun! He was such a great guy. I KNOW he is proud of you!

Janice said...

Your words are beautiful and your spirit so divine. We all think the world of your crazy, cooky and loving dad. I miss him dearly myself. I wish you could hear his words of praise for you and the person you have become. I know he thinks of you as often as you do of him. I'm certain he is your biggest cheerleader and throws parties in honor of your accomplishments all the time. I'm glad you can feel how much your daddy loves you. Sometimes, nothing else is more important.

Trisha said...

I know how much you loved your dad. He is lucky to have left such a legacy behind.