Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Wanna Go On A Date???


Those of you with children, know just how different each individual child is..it is unbelievable how 2 children who come from the exact same parents can be so incredibly different. And yet, they are. One of my most challenging feats has been to not only figure out Buddy's death for myself, and mourn and deal with it, but to also help each one of my children to do the same. They are all worried about different things and have different feelings about daddy being gone. It has been so tricky on how to help all 5 of us. And honestly, EXTREMELY overwhelming!!

I was talking to a very dear friend about this and he suggested I take my kids out on a date. Once every three months or something like that. Just a day alone with me and them. I loved it! Brilliant!!

Natalie was first. We ventured out 2 days after Christmas. All day Christmas day she had been so concerned about what daddy was doing in Heaven for Christmas. Was he alone? Did he have presents? She said "Mommy! I have to send him a present!" So I told her to make something and we would most certainly take it to the post office and mail it straight to Heaven. So for our date, we went to the post office. Natalie addressed the envelope herself (almost) and then marched into that Post Office like she owned the joint!  We waited in line and then she walked right up and gave the postal worker her envelope.  The lady looked confused at first and then with tears beginning to flow down my face I said "She needs this Christmas present to get to her daddy in Heaven." The lady was stunned. She told Natalie that they had a special delivery to heaven each and every day and that it goes via express so it would be there in just a few hours. Natalie beamed with happiness. They lady gave her a delivery confirmation ticket and we were gone. I was a mess!!

From there, we went to iHop! Our family loves us some iHop! It was her choice and that is what she wanted. We sat and visited and colored and played games. It was fantastic! Natalie is just a ball of joy! She dances and sings every where she goes and is constantly telling me I am "The Best Mom EVER!" Which of course melts me! She is missing daddy a lot lately so we are doing lots of extra kisses and hugs these days!


Rachel was next! She picked to go and get pedicures together. I get one often to take care of my feet since I run so much, so I took her to the place I always go. The staff was so excited that I had my daughter with me. They pampered us and we had such a great time sitting next to each other and laughing and talking while we got our toes looking so pretty!


After that, she chose lunch at The Panda Express. One of our most favorite places to eat together. Then we went shopping. I mean what 12 year old girl doesn't LOVE shopping. We finished off with hot chocolate at Starbucks! I love hanging out with Rachel. She is growing into such a beautiful young lady. She is just so wonderful. She is a HUGE help with the other kids and is just so spiritual. She is such an example to everyone in this house. I assure you I would not have survived this last 6 1/2 months without her. I am so proud of her. Beyond words!

Next was Miss Kimbo!!

Kimbo wanted to go to breakfast at IHop. Told you we love IHop!!!
After IHop, we went to the movies to see one of the best movies we have ever seen..Parental Guidance. It was so cute and it was so much fun watching it with Kimbo. Just hearing her laugh makes me smile and laugh all the harder!


After the movies, Kimbo had some gift cards that were burning a hole in her pocket. So we went to Claire's and tried on some very fun and silly sunglasses and then to Hobby Lobby to get her some fun crafty stuff.


I had so much fun with Kimbo! She is such a ray of light in my life. She is just brilliant and always amazes me with what she can understand. She understands so many things that adults cannot even grasp. I am so blessed to have her as my beautiful daughter.

Garrisons date has not happened yet but will very soon. I am certain it will involve animals of some kind..either the zoo or Cabella's.  That is his choice. I am so grateful for the advice I was given to do this with them. It has already proved to be such a huge blessing to our family. I have overheard the kids talking about it to their friends and other adults. That warms my heart! I cannot put into words how much I love these babies! The joy they bring me day in and day out is just overwhelming. They truly are my world! How grateful I am that Heavenly Father chose me to be their mama. The honor, truly is, all mine!



1 comment:

I have a good life said...

What a wonderful idea! :) It sounds like a huge blessing already. I am inspired to do this again with my kiddos. Thanks for sharing. I didn't even know you blogged until tonight.