Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Don't say the "R" word!

This is my son Garrison. He is an amazing 12 year old boy who has a very infectious laugh. He LOVES animals and can tell you anything in the world you want to know about any animal or dinosaur that ever lived. He has a crazy awesome memory. He loves sea world more than I can even express. He loves to ride roller coasters and would play video games for hours and hours a day if my husband and I allowed him to. He is extremely caring, loving, fun and as any other teenager, sometimes rather lazy. Oh and just in case you missed it, he is Autistic and clinically mentally retarded.

Now before you go with "I don't know how his parents do it" or "I am so sorry...how old was he when you got the news?" Please just stop. Think of all of the things I posted above before you focus only on the disease my son has. Let me say this..being his parents is an honor. Are we happy that he has this disease, no but he does and we love him because he is amazing. I talk about him a lot everywhere ago for many reasons. 1) Garrison can be a lot of work for us so I have to spend a lot of time with him and help him with so much more than I have to help my daughters with. 2) I love my son 3) He does things that amaze me each and every day. 4) He has an amazing spirit and light about him that will make you fall in love with him the minute you meet him. 5) I flat out want to raise awareness about Autism and it's many faces.

As you are reading this I want you to just stop right now and think of something. Have you called someone (not "mentally challenged") or something (your car for not starting, the toy you stepped on) "retarded" today? Now think of this...when you did say the "r word" (that is the only way I will refer to that word from here on out because it is so vulgar to me), what were you replacing it with? If someone at work messes up at something. have you ever said "he is so (insert R word here)?" What you meant to say was "he is so stupid" right?? So basically, every single time you use that word, you are replacing the word stupid with the R word. Why??

I have a son Garrison, (in case you missed this part previously), who is Autistic and clinically mentally retarded. Would you ever come up to me and tell me he is stupid? Hopefully not. More hopefully for you because I am pretty sure you wouldn't want my wrath on you after you telling me that. Actually, my son is brilliant. No he cannot tie his shoes, or use the bathroom or shower without much, much guidance. However, he can show you a picture of an Ibex and tell you what it is, where it lives, what it eats, what it preys on, what preys on it, and how long it lives. Do you even know what an Ibex is?

So my point is this. I am on a mission to stop everyone I come in contact with from using that word. It is fowl and it offends me to the bitter core. Next time you say that word, just think, you essentially were calling my brilliant and amazing son, stupid.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

YOU ARE AMAZING. I know he was sent to you because you truly are amazing.