Friday, October 28, 2011

Not Just a Piece of Bread


Upon waking up this morning, I realized that all of the pancakes were gone. I felt sick for a minute until I thought, "Maybe there is more in the garage freezer." With high hopes, I quickly go out and check. I open the door and hold my breath. Oh no! We are out of pancakes. With another quick glance, I realize we are out of French Toast sticks too. Oh great. Well, toast will have to do. I get back inside the house, open the pantry only to find 1 piece of bread left. Not only is there nothing for breakfast, now I can't even make a sandwich for lunch. Panic sets in. A million thoughts start going through my head. A mental checklist of items in my pantry and fridge...to no avail. It was no use. What was I going to do now?

As you read this, you are probably thinking, "calm down and act like a grown woman." The problem is..none of that was for me. Garrison eats about 10 things. Every single morning for breakfast, he has pancakes. Not just any pancakes. Very special pancakes that are frozen and come in small packages of three. If by some odd reason we are out of those, the other options are usually french toast sticks. If we are out of those..well, to be honest, I don't ever remember being out of both because I know what it would be like if we were. Garrison probably just wouldn't eat breakfast and go to school hungry. He loves toast but usually will only eat it late at night.

Garrison also takes the exact same things in his lunch box. He has done this since Kindergarten. Same lunch, every day. Now, I realized I didn't even have enough bread to make him a jelly sandwich. Now panic may be a strong word to some of you about something that sounds so trivial. In our home, it is a different world. I was truly freaking out wondering what my son was going to have for breakfast and now lunch.

Rachel has a friend by the name of Brooke. Brooke's mom Jennifer and I came up with a plan to get kids to and from school. She takes them every day, I bring them home every day. I quickly sent her a text and asked her if she had any bread I could have. Now here is something else tricky. Garrison wont eat just any bread. If it looks too big, or wrong color, or has anything on the crust at all like seeds or flower, it is a no-go. He freaks out. She immediately text me back that she indeed had some and would bring it. I am praying that it is bread he will eat.

She pulls up, runs up to the door and hands me the loaf. A HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!! The bread she gives me is the right kind!!! I wake Garrison up, gently inform him that we are out of...well...everything. Then hesitantly I say "How about toast?" He sits and thinks for a few minutes then says "ok." Clearly not very happy but it will work. I cannot tell you the relief that washed over me. My son was going to eat breakfast AND have a sandwich in his lunch.

As trivial as this may all sound, this is our life. Garrison is not like your picky eaters so please don't comment that your child is picky too and only likes one kind of bread. I am sure that is true but something so small as a funky piece of bread can set the tone for my son's entire day. It is not the same as your child or even my other children. They are worlds apart.

I am so grateful to Jennifer for bringing that bread. She has no clue what that bread meant to me an to my son this morning. I get a little emotional typing this because it was such a blessing to me. That bread was not just bread to me. It was an answer to this mom's prayer.

No comments: