Monday, October 31, 2011

My 2 Quiet Supporters


In my blog, on Facebook, and in my every day life, I talk A LOT about Garrison and Natalie. I want to take a few minutes and talk about my other 2 AMAZING children. Rachel and Kimbo.

People who do not live in our families every day life cannot imagine what it is like to be the sibling of a special needs child. Heck, I cannot even imagine. I have seen their tears for their brother, I have heard their fears for their brother and I have witnessed some beautiful prayers in behalf of their brother. However, I have never witnessed any complaints, anger, or resentment for their brother.

My daughters Rachel (11) and Kimbo (9 in 3 days) are incredible. They both have always played the "big sister" role to their older brother and always will. I sit back and marvel at how they work with him. They help him tie his shoes, cut his pancakes and make all the funny voices he asks them to so that he will laugh and laugh.

I see the love in their eyes for him and the love in his eyes for them. It is something very special to witness. I cannot tell you how special it is to see this every single day. They get him off of the school bus every single day since I have to work. They ask him how his day was and then call me to tell me he is home safe and sound.

When Garrison has meltdowns, they cry many times, but mostly just try and help explain things to him or get things for him that they know will bring him comfort. They clean his room for him and help him brush his teeth. They sit next to him and read books to him and watch movies with him. Anyone who knows Garrison knows that watching a movie with him can be torture. He watches it in slow motion, or watches several scenes over and over and over. He many times watches it on mute and requires his sissies to do the voices for him. Yet they sit there and do it without complaining.

These two girls are so well behaved, and so responsible, it is not even normal. I have never, ever, ever seen two little girls so good. People always tell me that it is because they were raised right but I quickly say "No, they came to me that way." And they did. I feel like they deserve so much more.

This year has been extra tough money wise. When the beginning of school came around I sat them down and explained to them how sorry I was but we would not be shopping for new school clothes or new school shoes. I sobbed as I told them because they, of all people, deserve those things. Do you know their response?? "Mom! It's fine! We don't need new things. We know things are rough right now and we know how blessed we are to have all that we have." What 10 & 8 year old says that?

When all of their friends are going on amazing vacations and they tell me all the stories that their friends have shared with them, my heart breaks a little because I cannot give that to them. I say to them "I know you girls wish we could go sometime and maybe one day we will" they simply say "Mom, we know. It's no big deal." Deep down, you and I both know it is a big deal. They want just as any other kids their age wants. They deserve it probably more than many.

I feel like they carry such a heavy load and are asked to do a lot but I am confident that these lessons they are learning will carry them throughout their lives and will be invaluable to them as they grow into adults and mom's themselves. How blessed I am to have such beautiful daughters both inside an out. They bring me so much joy. They are brilliant (both straight A students every semester), spiritual (both reading their scriptures and praying in bed every single night), beautiful(inside and out), and caring.

One day, I hope to make it all up to them. In the meantime, I will continue to tell them I love them 50 times a day, I will savor every minute I have with them, and I will continue to sit back and marvel at their individual greatness. Thank You God for blessing our family with these two amazing girls!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your girls are amazing! I noticed a very special spirit about them the few times I have been around them, and you can see the joy and happiness they have in their pictures. You can't help but to love them!