Friday, November 4, 2011

The Words We Say

Words are a funny thing. It has always amazed me how one simple word, depending on how it is said, can make such an impact on a person. I love words. I love to read, I LOVE to write, and I am passionate about things I believe in. I have been known to talk a lot. Since I was little (and yes I still do this) I would be talking to my parents and just stop mid conversation and say "I am talking too much aren't I?" As any loving parent would do, they would always reply "Not at all." We all know I was. I talk a lot and I talk fast. I have tried really hard to not do either of those things as I have gotten older but when you bring up something I am very passionate about...WATCH OUT!!! I will go on forever and good luck keeping up with me.

Since Facebook came into my life, I have had a few situations where I didn't know when to shut up and would end up getting so fired up that I would have to go outside or even jump in the shower to calm down. Buddy, who is the complete opposite of me when it comes to talking, has told me time and time again to not take it so seriously and keep in mind that most people say things on Facebook that they wouldn't say to your face. I happen to be one of the exceptions to this rule because I will pretty much say anything to anyone at any given time. Not always a good thing, but also not always a bad thing.

I have also ALWAYS been a very sensitive person. There again, not always a good thing, but not always a bad thing. I care a lot about others and can become very defensive. I care what people say about me. I will defend myself, my family, and my faith to the bitter end. I often tell people that there are only 2 things that will offend me. 1. Making fun of my beliefs/religion 2. Calling my son the R word. Those are deal breakers. You do either of those and you can turn around and never look back. I have no room in my life for anyone who would do either of those.

Well today someone said something that really upset me and quite frankly hurt my feelings. I immediately went on the attack. Then my wise husbands words were in the back of my head so I quickly deleted my comment and simply told said person "whatever." Big..no, HUGE step for me. I was so proud of myself. Some people came to my defense very quickly. two of whom actually have never even met me but recognized how inappropriate and rude this ladies comments were. One of them actually used the statement "You are not a Nazi Heather, but a child of God, wonderfully and fearfully made." That really touched me.

We make an impact on people every single day. Every person we come in contact with, we impact them in some way weather it be for good or bad. Now, if you know me well enough, you know I pretty much have zero self esteem. Something I have always struggled with, my entire life. But for some reason, that comment really touched me. It made me feel good about myself and reminded me of some things. It is a prime example of the two sides of words. A prime example of how words can be used for good and how they can be used for evil.

Working at the front desk at the Y, I see a lot of people every single day. They walk in, I say "Hi, welcome to the Y." I usually follow with a "how are you tonight dear?" (my co-workers tease me that I call everyone dear and shuge(short for sugar) ). Tonight I thought about these people I see almost every night. That is the only few seconds of contact I have with most of them. I want to make a great contact with them and let them know that I genuinely do care. That I sincerely do want them to have a good day. Who knows what trials and struggles they are each going through. We tend to put on a mask that everything is wonderful in our lives all day everyday even though we each know that everyone has something they are struggling with.

How much better would the world (and yes Facebook as well) be if we would just use our words a little better and a little kinder. Take a moment to really care about people and when you tell them to have a nice day, mean it. You never know what the impact of a few simple words will have on someone. Today, a few simple words brightened my entire day and reminded me that I am someone special.

3 comments:

vanessa said...

That is so true. I have learned to be more patient with others if the seem short bc maybe they didn't have such a good day. Our kindness and love for others maybe the only postive gesture they have received all day.

Kim said...

Well put. You did get my message about your friend post, right? This post makes me nervous because a lot of times I will say things to people that I think come across one way and then find out they took it another way. I constantly worry about putting people out so I always say no thanks to help, or if someone wants to do something for me I find a way to get out of it and try to do it for them. My thoughts behind that are that I don't want them to be bothered, but someone recently said "what is it with you? You don't think anyone can do it but you?" Yikes! I had never thought of it coming across like that!!! All this time I'm just trying to be helpful. Words are tough.

Heather said...

Yes Kim I did. Oh how I love you. Take all of that guilt away my dear. Friends, true friends, don't hold grudges. You are so amazing in so many ways! I miss you like crazy!!!