Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Morgan's Wonderland = Heaven on Earth

There is a miraculous place in San Antonio by the name of Morgan's Wonderland. We have an aunt who lives there in SA and told us about it. It is a "theme park" of sorts for children and adults with special needs. Words cannot even begin to describe how much this park means to our family.

We went for the first time last Thanksgiving and upon walking through the gates, I became emotional. It was just that great. Swing sets that Wheel Chairs can use, a carosal filled with beautiful animals (some go up and down, others don't) that also allow individuals in wheelchairs to ride. A building full of awesome activities including a mini grocery store. A train that travels all over the park. I could go on and on. As I sat back and watched not just my Autistic son, but also my typical daughters run through this park, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. This is a place where I can sit back on the benches and just watch my children play. I don't have to apologize for my son jumping up and down over and over while making his very loud noises. I don't have to apologize if walks up to some stranger and run his fingers through their hair. I don't have to apologize when my son stands too close to someone and invades their personal space. You know why?? Because everyone there not only gets it, they expect it! Some of the employees are special needs adults as well. Watch out when you go to the snack bar. Their sweet spirits can be overwhelming enough to entice you to buy more popcorn than you actually need. :) That is okay though because we are not talking theme park prices here. My family, who is struggling more than ever these days (who isn't in this economy) can actually afford this amazing place.

Not only is it wonderful for my son, my daughters love it so much. Going to Morgan's Wonderland with their Aunt Susie is their favorite part of their trip to San Antonio. They love the atmosphere. They love that they feel safe. They love being around these amazing people.

Upon walking inside, each person in your party is given a bracelet. You scan the bracelet at any of the stations that are located throughout the park and it will pop up a screen telling you where everyone in your party is located at that moment. You can even type in messages so when the next person scans in, it will notify them a message is waiting. Buddy and I had fun with that.

Weather you have an individual in your family with special needs or not, PLEASE go. Please support the wonderful place that is truly like a heaven on earth for my family!

www.morganswonderland.com

(Video is from last November)

1 comment:

JanB said...

I have a couple of friends with autistic children in San Antonio who LOVE Morgan's Wonderland. I'm glad you were able to go there.