Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Boy's Love For His Dog


Garrison is extremely allergic to animals. All kinds of animals. Horses, cats, dogs, well you get the idea. For many, many years, he was also terrified of both cats and dogs. 2 years ago, about this time of year, I brought a dog home with me. I have wanted to get the kids a dog for SO long. Buddy and I both had dogs growing up but due to Garrison's allergies and his fear of dogs, we never pursued it.

Jaydog is a Maltipoo. He looks exactly like my dog I had growing up named Ruffles. I loved Ruffles so much and I cried and cried the day he died. Being a maltipoo, I knew that meant that Jay is hypoallergenic. Meaning, he doesn't shed and all that jazz, (all that jazz really means I have no idea why but he doesn't make my son sneeze) so that meant Garrison could be around him. I brought him home and Garrison wouldn't come out of our bedroom for 30 minutes. He was terrified. He finally came out and the rest is history. He LOVES Jaydog. Too bad Jaydog doesn't particularly love Garrison too much. Garrison is a little overwhelming for Jay. He likes to lay right by him, okay on him, and he also likes to close his bedroom door so Jay can't leave. Garrison of course has no idea that Jay doesn't favor him, Garrison just keeps on loving him.

The other day, Garrison lost a tooth. The tooth fairy gave him a dollar. (cheap tooth fairy around here). Garrison doesn't understand money at all. He only knows that he can put quarters into the claw game at walmart and he gets to move the giant claw around a few times. He doesn't even care if he wins, he just likes to watch the claw move. Anyhow, that is what he usually gets from the tooth fairy, is quarters. This particular night, the tooth fairy only had a dollar bill so that is what he got. Well the next day, we were all in the family room watching tv together when Garrison said "Jaydog sure is hairy. His hair is getting grower." (inerpretation: Jaydog's hair is too long) He continues "Jaydog needs a hair cut." I said "Yes son, I know but that costs money and mommy doesn't have any. Do you have any?" He says "The tooth fairy gave me a dollar." He proceeds to walk over, grab his dollar and brings it back to me. As he puts it in my hand, I said "what is this for?" He answers "Money to go cut Jay's hair!"

Precious I tell you! My boy is precious. He loves this dog so much! He knows Jaydog needs a haircut so he was willing to pay for it with his dollar. These are the moments I treasure with my son.

When people find out I have a son who is autistic, they tend to say "I'm sorry." I typically reply with "I'm not!" Yes autism has made all of our lives so much more difficult and has brought us tears, agony, heartbreak, frustration, sadness, guilt, wonderment, and fear. But it has also allowed us to watch a 12 year old boy still believe in a tooth fairy, and think that a dollar can pay for his dog to get a hair cut. It has allowed our son to maintain his innocence. Sometimes that is a bad thing, but a lot of times, it is a good thing.

I dread the day that we lose our sweet Jaydog. I cannot imagine the heartbreak that will bring to our family but mostly to our son. However, it is something wonderful to watch...the love this boy has for his dog.

No comments: