Saturday, October 22, 2011

My Hero


Brace yourself for a very cheesy read. I have thought and thought about what I wanted to write about these past couple of days and this subject kept coming back to me time and time again...so I am going with it.

How many times in our lives are we asked who our hero is? How many times have you given an honest answer? Sure, when we were 5, we all said Superman, or Spiderman or some of us girls even threw in Wonder Woman or She-Ra! (My personal favorite)

But now we are grown up, at least theoretically speaking, so I decided to really think about this question. Who really is my Hero? I think I have several. Both of my parents are right up there. I was blessed for 21 years with an amazing father who I miss every single day of my life. I still have the most incredible mother. The best mom ever actually. Of course I have my spiritual hero's. Jesus Christ would top that list for sure. However, I want to tell the story of my biggest hero. This person is someone I admire more than I can even say. There are no words to describe how amazing this person is. Yes it is cheesy, but I don't care. It is how I feel and once you hear my story, you may feel the same.

My husband was born with severe club feet. Not only did the doctors never think he would walk, but his hands were deformed as well. According to his mom, the doctor said "I am not as worried about his feet as I am his hands." He wasn't supposed to have use of those either. As a mother, I can only imagine what must have gone through his mothers head. How terrifying.

Buddy had surgery on his feet when he was 2 or 3 years old. The doctor who performed his surgery was the #1 surgeon in the world for Club feet. To this day, Buddy is told by physicians how "beautiful" his club feet are. Children who were born 35 years ago, who also had club feet, may have had surgery but rarely do they look as good as Buddy's. Surgery couldn't correct everything though. Buddy has been in pain his entire life. Just watch him walk across the room and you will see it. His ankles will swell so large, they are the size of softballs. He is literally in pain every day of his life. However, he has never let that stop him.

He not only has a wonderful job as an engineer (we have done some research and have found many people from our generation who were also born with club feet, collect disability and don't work at all) but he plays basketball, softball and is an avid runner. Last March, he ran his first 1/2 marathon. Did it hurt? More than you or I can imagine. But he did it, and he continues to do it. His toes overlap skin on the bottom side of his foot so he will run with 3 or 4 blisters per foot. He is amazing. He wakes up as early as 4:00 everyday so he can get his run in. He does this so he can stay healthy and lose weight. He knows it will hurt. He knows his ankles will swell. He knows it will mean that just walking down the hall will hurt like you cannot imagine but he does it.

He could use his feet as an excuse. Deservedly so! But he doesn't. He is a quiet champion. He doesn't tell many his story. He doesn't want sympathy. He isn't seeking adoration. So, he gets me who wants to stand on the mountain tops and yell "My husband is amazing!"

Since I started working nights (4-10 Monday - Friday) he is also taking on a lot of my role. He comes home from work, gets dinner made and almost always cleaned up, then gets kids to softball and/or church, helps with any homework necessary and makes sure the kids have done their daily chores. He is the most amazing support to me.

So there you have it . Heather Hopkins hero is her awesome husband. I know you all feel you have the best husband in the world. And your right. He is the best husband for you. I snagged the best one for me and I am so glad I did. He makes me laugh, he makes me smile. He makes me feel sexy as hell. TMI?? Too bad! :)

I married my soul mate and the love of my life. Buddy Hopkins, you are my hero. I love you!

No comments: