Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What you may not know about strep...

So now that Rachel, Kimbo and now I have had strep throat, I thought I might shed some light on some things that you may not know.

In kids (and adults too I guess) Strep Throat can begin with a tummy ache or a headache. Their throat may not even hurt. Rachel had a headache before anything else and Kimbo complained more of her tummy than her throat. When I went in, the doctor said that many times, kids never even say their throat hurts complaining only of the head and tummy. So if you or your children have been exposed AND they complain of a tummy ache or headache, it is best to just get them checked out. If their throat culture comes back positive (which I bet you it will) then you can get them on antibiotics and get ahead of the really sore throat that comes with it. A friend of mine called today and her daughter had an upset tummy and had played with Kimbo last week. I told her to take her in and I would give her $50 if it wasn't strep. Of course it was so thankfully I am not out 50 buckeroos!!!

Here is a little bit more of advice. If they are given amoxicillian (not sure how to spell that one) keep in mind that it can cause upset tummies. Without getting into too much detail...if they say they need to go to the bathroom..no matter where you are or what you are doing...let them go. Trust me on this one!!! Don't learn that lesson the hard way.

Many of you may have already known all of this, but I thought that since a lot of your families have been exposed to mine, it might be helpful information. Hopefully you wont need it. I am going to go lay down now. I feel awful.

7 comments:

ray said...

You, again, have all my sympathy. A few years ago I had strep 5 times in 6 months and ended up having my tonsils out (and I still got it one more time after that). It's a nasty business. Stay on top of the anti-bios and stay off your feet (haha, yeah right). Wish I could be there to help you out!

skatej said...

You have four children and you're in school? You are a stronger woman than I! I'm in the middle of reading for this last essay, due Wednesday at 1 (which, incidentally, is the time of the final. I love Baptist History, but goodness it's a lot of memorization!), and then I can take a nap before I start studying for my other final on Thursday at 1.
I always threw up when I had strep throat, and I got it a lot. My mother knew by the time I was four to bring two or more changes of clothes for us to the doctor's office. I think what she said is that your tonsils drip toxins straight into your stomach, which in turn upsets it, which is why children complain of a stomach upset.
I hope all of you start feeling better soon!

Mama Mia said...

Thanks for the advice yesterday! Brighton is feeling like a million buck...but home from school :) Hopefully today will be nice and I can take her for a walk/park today!

Heidi A said...

Thanks for the pointers. I hope everyone gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

FEEL BETTER SOON!

Nichole Christensen said...

I hope everyone is feeling better... I absolutely LOVE your new blog layout!!

ArchRay said...

Cute new blog. What an awful experience for you all!